Monday, November 9, 2009

Another Staycation!

Chuck is at home again this week! He has a bunch of vacation days so he decided to go ahead & take a few more. The boys & I love it when he's here. Oddly enough, we're not even spending much time together. I spent today with the little boys getting groceries & running errands while he did yardwork. Tomorrow, he'll spend the day doing some work at the church while I do housework. Wednesday, he's going to a training class with a friend of his & I'll be shopping at Kohl's with my 30% off coupon!

Seems crazy, but for me it's comforting. It's comforting to know that my husband & I are at that place in our marriage where we don't require so stinkin' much of one another. We don't have to be side by side physically all of the time. We are always side by side in heart. Cheesy, huh? It's true, though. We have this wonderful life that we're living together, yet we spend much of it apart. Chuck's job is not an 8-5 job. His schedule is crazy & he's on call all the time. That's no joke. He spent an hour on the phone just this morning on his vacation day. We are so blessed that he has a good job, though, & that he's smart enough & healthy enough to excel in his work. He has busted his backside for years to get where he is today & I'm thankful for his dedication. Don't get me wrong; his schedule can be extremely frustrating. However, our family of 4 is warm, well-fed, & clothed. We won't complain too much. Don't be misled into thinking that Chuck's the only one around here with a demanding job, though. In his book, The Strong-Willed Child, Dr. James Dobson says of my job that "there is no more difficult assignment on the face of the earth". Thanks for noticing, Dr. Dobson!

Note: I'm not oblivious to the world around me. I know that many people have much wilder schedules & more difficult jobs than us, but this is my blog so I'm allowed to carry on about our family as much as I want.

In case anybody is still reading, where were we? Oh yeah, I was saying how nice it is to be in this particular season with the love of my life. We cherish, cherish, cherish our time together. We love, love, love it when it's just us. We realize, though, that it can't be "just us" all the time. It's not even healthy for it to be "just us" all the time. God created us as unique INDIVIDUALS with unique interests. He created us to have relationships/friendships & not only with each other. My husband can't be whole without giving & receiving love from his friends & family. Neither can I.

So, I'll say again what I said when I started this post -
It is comforting to be where we are.

On our staycation.

In separate places.

Yet side by side.