Anyone besides me loving squash this summer?
We, unfortunately, do not have a garden. If we did, we'd kill every living thing in it in a skinny minute! No green thumbs in this house. Maybe one day we'll get ambitious & give it a try anyway. Until then, we will give the good Lord so much thanks for our friends who have gardens & giving spirits. Amen & amen! Chuck C. has a co-worker/friend who has graciously shared the wealth this season in squash, zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes, & all sorts of peppers (I'll be making jalapeno chicken tomorrow night - woohoo!).
One of my favorite veggies is squash & I love it prepared just about any way you can prepare it, but I have been LONGING for my mama's squash & potato casserole which she had completely forgotten about (WHAT?!). She & my daddy came to visit the other day & I told her I was planning to make one. Since Mama does not know how to come over & sit a spell she got in my kitchen & whipped me up a casserole! What a mama!!! Dummy me did not think to take a picture (because all I could think about was devouring the buttery goodness that had been set before me) to share with you, but I will gladly share the recipe so you can whip one up yourself.
This is one of those recipes that is not exact. It's a however-many-squash-and-potatoes-you-want kind of recipe. I guess it's not so much a recipe as it is just a few instructions on how to assemble a veggie-licious dish!
Here's what Mama used:
4 squash
6 potatoes
1 small onion
1/2 stick butter, melted
salt & pepper
1 cup grated cheese
Here's what Mama did:
She peeled & sliced up the potatoes, tossed the slices in butter, salted & peppered them, & spread them in the bottom of an 8x8 pan.
Then, she sliced up the onion into rings, tossed the rings in butter, salted & peppered them, & laid them over the potatoes.
Then, she sliced up the squash, tossed the slices in butter, salted & peppered them, & spread them over the onions.
Finally, she covered the squash with cheese & baked the whole wonderful concoction at 350 degrees for almost an hour.
PURE SOUTHERN DELIGHT, Y'ALL!!
You may be wondering why she doesn't just toss all the vegetables together in butter & I don't know, but Mama says that it is best to do them individually & might I just suggest that Mama always knows best.
No comments:
Post a Comment