Monday, October 26, 2009

Monday

Yes, I know it's Thursday, but I'm just that far behind this week.

Here's why:














My husband has been sick. This is where the poor thing spent his Monday...on the couch (with a really cute attachment).

I spent most of my Monday in the kitchen. My husband wanted grits & toast for breakfast so that's where I started. Lunch was even easier than that because I just warmed up some wonderful chicken noodle soup that my MIL had made for her sick boy. While he was enjoying his soup, I made salsa chicken salad & loved it so I want to share the how-to with you. It is a Paula Deen recipe & it makes a wad. The next time we have a church fellowship, this is what I'll be making.

Salsa Chicken Salad
16 oz. sour cream
1 jar chunky salsa
1/2 pkg. 1 oz. ranch dressing mix

Mix those ingredients together, then fold these in:

1 lb. cooked chicken, diced (OR cheat like I did & use 2 cans chunk white chicken)
1 can water chestnuts
8 oz. shredded Pepper Jack cheese

Chill. (I liked it best right when it was freshly made, before it went into the refrigerator.)


After lunch, the boys & I went to the grocery store so their daddy could have a break. When we got home, I was back in the kitchen making pasta & garlic bread. I had a meeting Monday night with the Women's Ministry Outreach Team from our church so I fixed a big bowl of pasta to feed my guys & the ladies at the meeting. Why don't I just share that recipe with you, too?

Cheesy Mostaccioli
1 pkg. Mostaccioli (or Penne)
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 cup chopped bell pepper
1 cup chopped onion
3/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 can cheddar cheese soup
2 c. shredded Mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In large skillet, brown ground beef with peppers & onions. Drain grease.
Mix dry seasonings with meat; stir in spaghetti sauce & soup. Mix well.
Boil pasta according to pkg. directions.
Mix cooked pasta, meat mixture, 1 1/2 cups of cheese.
Pour in oven-safe dish. Cover & bake for 35 minutes.
Remove from oven, uncover, & sprinkle remaining cheese over top.
Cook uncovered 10 more minutes.


This is really good & goes a long way! It is a Pampered Chef recipe & I've never cooked it in anything except the stoneware baking bowl using the deep dish baker as the cover. Surely it will work in any dish, though, since it's really just heating foods that have already been cooked & melting the cheese.

My mom made a yummy sweet potato cobbler for dessert (note to self: GET RECIPE!). We were almost too full to meet! We trudged on with our full bellies, though, & planned some great things for Thanksgiving & Christmas. My MIL has taken the lead of our outreach team & she is doing a great job. I'm very thankful to have her as part of our women's ministry.

The boys stayed with Pawpaw & Mawmaw while I was in the meeting so their daddy could get some more rest. Tuesday, he stayed home from work. He already had it scheduled as a vacation day. It was just too bad he ended up using it as a recovery day. He is doing much better now. However, his little attachment ended up sick. He is also on the mend. Hopefully we'll all be 100% by the weekend. Friday is almost here & that makes everything better, right?? Chuck is scheduled for more vacation starting tomorrow...YAY!! That definitely makes me feel GREAT! That sort of means that today is my Friday!

Isn't this post titled Monday? It took a weird turn, didn't it?

Well, I've rambled enough. Time to get crackin' around here!

Oh, and HAPPY FRIDAY (whenever that is for you)!!

No comments: