Do you have a "favorite" child? Do you have a child that you can't connect with?
I do not.
All of my children are #1. My relationship to each of them is different based on who they are & what they enjoy, but there is no bias. Really.
Because they are different they do require different levels of energy from me. One of my children wears me out. Slam out. There is no disconnect between us, but it takes more effort for me to really learn what makes him tick. My assumption has been that it's because he's geared more like his daddy who is also a challenge for me! Ha!! That assumption was proven wrong recently. This kid who rocks my world in so many ways is a lot like me. Bless his heart!!
A few weeks ago we went head-to-head & had a little showdown. At one point we had to go to our opposite corners to catch a breath. Seriously, when I walked away to get my nerves back in tact my husband rubbed my back & shoulders & offered to put an end to the battle. (See? Just like a boxing match.) But I'm no quitter. This was my fight & I was going back in to finish what I had started.
With a deep breath I headed back into the ring.
Ding, ding, ding! Round 2.
This round was over before it started.
Emotionally wounded & exhausted, my pint-sized opponent & I sat in a teary-eyed embrace of apologies. And right there our bond thickened & deepened. We don't even look at each other the same. We're tight. In a new way. We "get" each other.
My boy & I want so desperately to be good. We don't want to be mean & yell & SNAP, but we do. We're geared differently than the others, but the same as each other. If I had played the "I'm right because I'm your mommy" role we would've lost this moment. We would've missed the opportunity to discover how much our insides are alike. He looks like his daddy on the outside, but there is a strong resemblance to his mommy on the inside.
Have you been real with your child lately? Have you admitted that you were wrong? Have you said, "I'm sorry" to your little one?
Don't miss your chance to go deeper with your child.
Go ahead...

Let 'em see you sweat!
1 comment:
With FOUR boys ages 9, 8, 7 and 6 we have a LOT of personality and testosterone in our home.
We have our CHALLENGES . . . some days more than I consider OUR SHARE.
I fully believe God laughed when he made little boys. They are a puzzle of sorts ~ we Moms simply cannot solve ~ no matter how hard we try!
We MUST rely on God for peace, grace and understanding with our boys.
Post a Comment